Orchard House Access Statement
Orchard House is a spacious barn conversion with the ground floor specifically designed with the wheel chair user in mind. All the doors are 838mm wide allowing easy access for the less mobile. Light switches and power points are suitably placed for the wheelchair user. We have a luxurious indoor swimming pool on site which is also accessible to the wheelchair user.
- Due to our rural location there is no public transport on the door step.
- The nearest railway station is Bucknell.
- The nearest bus stop is at Brampton Bryan.
- The nearest towns are Knighton and Presteigne both approximately 4.5 miles away.
- Provisions may be pre-ordered before your arrival.
- The nearest shop-mobility schemes can be found in Leominster and Hereford City
- Accessible taxis are available in Knighton
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- Car parking is available adjacent to the property.
- There are two accessible ramped entrances to the house, both ramps and all walkways have over night automatic lighting.
- The external ramp into the downstairs suite has handrails.
- The surface area of the patio, walkways and ramps are slabs with level joins to the adjacent tarmac roadways and parking areas.
- There is a ramped entrance to the Pool Barn leisure facilities
- The main entrance to Orchard House is through an 838mm half glazed doorway into a tiled hallway.
Public Areas - Hall, Stairs, Landing, Corridors etc
- The ground floor of Orchard House is level and wheelchair accessible throughout.
- All doors on the ground floor are 838mm wide.
- All doors on the first floor are 762mm wide.
- All light switches and power points are at 1000mm height
- Ground floor hallways are tiled.
- All stairs ways and upstairs corridors are carpeted.
- Each staircase has 13 steps, step height 190mm & depth 250mm
- Each staircase has a fixed handrail, 850mm vertical height from step.
Public Areas - Sitting room, lounges, lobbies etc
- Hearing loops are fitted in the lounge, kitchen and downstairs bedroom suite of Orchard House.
- In addition to the leather sofas in the lounge two high-seated wing chairs are provided.
- The Pool Barn designated disabled toilet is in the foyer.
- The swimming pool and changing areas are wheelchair accessible
- We do not have a poolside hoist - guests will need to be accompanied and assisted to use the pool.
- Guests have freedom of the farm, However as we are a working hill farm many areas beyond the farm yard will not be accessible to all.
- The farmyard is sloped and assistance may be required to negotiate all areas of the farmyard.
- The children’s play area is a barked area stepped into over a kerb.
- There are four bedrooms on the first floor and one bedroom suite on the ground floor.
- The bed height in the ground floor bedroom is 623mm
Bathroom, Shower-room & WC [Ensuite or Shared]
- All bathrooms have thermostatic showers over their baths. Bath side height is 545mm
- Support rails are provided in Orchard House's downstairs bedroom's ensuite bathroom. There is transfer space beside the toilet with a drop down grab rail.
- The Pool Barn shower room is a wet floor area. If guests are unable to use Orchard House’s bathroom facilities and wish to shower, in privacy, in the Pool Barn shower area this can easily be arranged.
- All the sink taps on the ground floor of Orchard House are lever.
- A shower seat with adjustable height seat is available.
- Portable suction grab handles are available for using on tiled areas.
- An alarm system is fitted in Orchard House's ground floor bedroom’s ensuite bathroom.
- There is a downstairs toilet in Orchard House.
- The kitchen in Orchard House is not designed with the wheel chair user in mind, assistance would be required to use the standard cooking appliances and high level freezer.
- The washing machine and tumble drier are both low level.
- Equipment is stored in both floor and wall cupboards
- Orchard House's kitchen tap is lever mixer tap.
- It should be noted that mobile phone reception is very poor in this area. A payphone is available in each property which will accept incoming calls. The phone number is displayed on the phone. This number can be requested prior to your visit.
- Dogs are allowed in Orchard House but only service dogs are allowed in the Pool Barn
- Smoking is allowed in Orchard House but the Pool Barn is a designated non-smoking area.
- Fire notices are displayed in each bedroom outlining evacuation routes
Address: Hicks Farm Holidays
Telephone: 01544 260237
Grid reference: Ordnance Survey Map reference: SO 337 697 (Sheet number: 148 Landranger Series)
- Stepped path through field from Orchard House to Rose Cottage.
- Walks marked out on the farm with suitable resting/picnic areas.
We welcome your feedback to help us continually improve if you have any comments please phone 01544 260237 or email firstname.lastname@example.org